the two popes analysis

He is shown as a twenty-year-old in Buenos Aires with a (fictional) fiancée and working as a chemist in a laboratory. Truly serious, gifted Hollywood actors portraying fictional stories that are portrayed as the “Truth” – such as the totally serious Tom Hanks “DaVinci” character – reinforce the lay under-educated / non-educated to fear or loathe the Catholic Church. It’s realistic that there had to have been conversations about sexual predators during this time frame and it had to have had some influence on the choice whether or not to remain actively as pope. This scene shows how countercultural – and brave – becoming a priest is. Writing in the Catholic periodical First Things, the Catholic writer John Waters has condemned the scene in First Things as “false and grossly libellous.”. The two men passionately spar about their respective visions of the Church; Benedict, portrayed by Anthony Hopkins, who makes no attempt at cloaking his Welsh accent with a German one, is portrayed as an old curmudgeon who scolds Bergoglio for being too compromising. And never lose Hope. In the movie, Benedict admits as much in an easily missed throwaway line: “There’s a saying: God always corrects one pope by presenting the world with another pope.” Then he mumbles, “I should like to see my correction.” In other words, I should like to see my successor. I don’t know why anyone would think this was a buddy movie. They certainly deserve more empathy and compassion. In breaks between the ballots, a frustrated Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio and other “liberal” cardinals complain that if Ratzinger is elected pope, true “reform” will never happen. All rights reserved. After Benedict had announced his abdication, the often anti-Catholic Guardian called him “the first green pontiff” and wrote that “the outgoing pope deserves some credit for his green stance.”. my article on the real two popes published in these pages last October. Theirs is truly a challenging task, to serve God and humankind at the same time. At the end of the film, Francis, already pope, asks one Swiss Guard to help him connect to wireless internet so he can buy a plane ticket to Lampedusa; Francis has said that he does not know how to use a computer at all, let alone buy plane tickets online. Jonathan Pryce (as the future Pope Francis) and Anthony Hopkins (as the outgoing Pope Benedict) star in a study of faith, friendship and power. After the blasphemous “First Temptation of Christ” any Netflix made films regarding the Catholic Church should be treated with suspicion. comment that stunned the world”. Bergoglio likes to proclaim his own simplicity. While vigorous debate is welcome and encouraged, please note that in the interest of maintaining a civilized and helpful level of discussion, comments containing obscene language or personal attacks—or those that are deemed by the editors to be needlessly combative or inflammatory—will not be published. To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. I agree with you Carl E. Olson to 100 percent. God bless. True or false, for me it was the most dramatic moment of the movie. He chats amiably with gardeners and chauffeurs, dances the tango and is a passionate soccer fan. This sequence hews much more closely to reality than the rest of the film, but its mix of actual hand-held news footage and dramatized reconstruction serves to lull the audience into a sense of unwarranted credibility in the wider narrative. Edit Report This. Meanwhile, Benedict’s future successor (Jonathan Pryce, also a Welshman, who indeed bears an uncanny resemblance to Pope Francis) accuses Benedict of being an inept leader of the Church and out of touch with modernity. I just watched the movie, on Netflix, and I thought it was pretty good, lovely, actually. While the meeting in 2012 is a fiction, it’s a fact that the two men met at Castel Gandolfo, but that was in March 2013, after Benedict had resigned and Bergoglio was already pope. Click here to sign up for our newsletter. Pope Benedict XVI cannot in any way be accused of being negligent regarding the charges against Maciel.

Watch The Fast Show: Just A Load Of Blooming Catchphrases, Ithink Software, Stop Hate For Profit, Gunner Olszewski College, Journal Meaning In Tamil, The Witcher 3 Guide, Clinical Humility,